News Release Contact: Ashley Abbott Bodien
For Immediate Release Phone: 517.490.5198
January 31, 2019 Email: email@example.com
Kids’ Food Basket Announces Emergency Food Assistance for Friday, February 1
Grand Rapids, MI –Kids’ Food Basket announces that they will be partnership again on Friday, February 1, with nine local West Michigan organizations to provide emergency food assistance to families impacted from the extreme weather.
Kids’ Food Basket has been at the forefront leading efforts with the YMCA Greater Grand Rapids to find locations near bus routes and facilities families can access in a safe manner. Distribution sites offering supplemental food and fresh produce for families to take home to provide food assistance to any family in need of additional nutrition. Food items include bananas, pears, apples, carrot packs, pudding and fruit cups, meat sticks, cereal bags, etc.
In addition, The David D. Hunting YMCA will be a providing a full meal to Grand Rapids Public School students and families through their Food Service Program.
Grand Rapids distribution sites:
- The David D. Hunting YMCA, from 11:30AM-3:00PM, 475 Lake Michigan Dr NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
*Families visiting the downtown YMCA location can enter through the main entrance and follow the signage to the community room to receive your meal.
- The Rapid Central Station, from 11:30AM-3:00PM, 250 Grandville Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Steepletown in Conjunction with Saint Adalbert, from 11:30AM-3:00PM, 671 Davis Ave NW # 1, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 *Enter through the school entrance
- Kids’ Food Basket, 2055 Oak Industrial Drive, from 11:30AM-5:00PM, Suite C, Grand Rapids, MI 49505
- Hispanic Center, from 11:30AM-3:00PM, 1204 Grandville Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Wyoming High School, from 11:30AM-3:00PM, 1350 Prairie Pkwy SW, Wyoming, MI 49509
- Godfrey Lee Early Childhood Center, from 11:30AM-1:30PM, 961 Joosten St SW, Wyoming, MI 49509
- LINC Up, from 11:30AM-3:00PM, 1167 Madison Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Muskegon distribution sites:
- Boys and Girls Club Muskegon Lakeshore Sites, from 12:00-2:00PM,
– Nelson Elementary Club Site, (Look for the BGC Van), 550 W Grand Ave.
– Muskegon Covenant Academy Teen Zone- (Main Entrance) 125 Catherine Ave.
– Muskegon Heights Teen Zone- (Tiger Way Entrance) 2441 Sanford St.
*Students under the age of 18 picking up their meal at a site will need to be accompanied by an adult. Meals are available to all school aged youth, not just students who attend The Club.
- Orchard View Community Education Building, from 10:30-12:00PM, 1765 Ada Ave, Muskegon, MI 49442 *Students of Orchard View, Cardinal or early elementary welcome
The organization is encouraging the members of the community follow Kids’ Food Basket on Facebook for announcements regarding locations, times and other notices. To learn more about community-based organizations and government agencies providing services to families and individuals in need, please call 211.
The organization, best known for its flagship Sack Supper Program, provides a free, well-balanced nutritious evening meal distributed within classrooms at the end of each school day. Through the Sack Supper program, Kids’ Food Basket serves over 8,000 kids at 48 schools where 70% or more of the student population receive free or reduced-cost lunch in Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Holland.
More than 250 volunteers each day help prepare, pack and deliver Sack Suppers, a well-rounded evening meal that provides nutrition critical to the development of the brain and body. To learn more, or see how you can make a difference, please click here.