Thank you so much for giving your time and talent. We appreciate your support! Please review the following information before your arrival:
- If you have registered a group, please let us know ASAP if your count changes or you need to cancel. We rely on you bringing the number of volunteers you requested to meet our productivity levels each day.
- Groups should only bring the number of volunteers registered. Due to limited space, we may not be able to satisfy requests for additional volunteers.
- Group Leader: Please share these confirmation details with all members of your group.
Youth & Age Requirements
- Chaperones for groups of youth: All youth groups (those under the age of 18) MUST have 1 chaperone per 5 youth volunteers. Lack of supervision from chaperones will result in cancellation of the event upon arrival.
- All on-site volunteers need to be at least 5 years old for safety reasons. If you’re under 16 you must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older. If you are 16-18 years old and volunteering without an adult you must have your own transportation available, or otherwise, must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older who can guarantee your transportation at the end of your volunteer shift. Because volunteer tasks may vary in duration, on occasion projects end early and all volunteers must be able to leave Kids’ Food Basket upon completion of their shift, even if finished early.
- Please wear appropriate attire to volunteer, which includes clothes you would not mind getting dirty. Our Sack Supper floor/warehouse can get hot or cold depending on the time of year, so please dress with consideration for weather.
- Hairnets and beard nets (as applicable) must be worn by all volunteers working with open food. These items will be made available to you prior to the start of your volunteer shift. (Hats are currently considered acceptable head covering in lieu of hairnets.)
Parking & Entrance
- We have limited parking. If you are volunteering with a group, we highly encourage carpooling to our location. Upon arrival, please do not park in non-Kids’ Food Basket parking spaces (any spots marked as reserved for other organizations).
- We do have handicap parking spaces available. If your team is having trouble navigating the entrance, or with parking and unloading of wheelchairs or other equipment, please find a staff member to let them know so that we may be of assistance.
- Please do not park in front of any entrance doors or garage door spaces that may be utilized for incoming semi-truck deliveries or sending Sack Suppers out of the building.
- Please enter through the front door/designated volunteer entrance and check in at the start of every volunteer shift.
Check-in and personal belongings
- Please arrive on time for your scheduled volunteer shift, or a few minutes early if you need to use the restroom, etc.
- Due to space available on-site, please note we do not have a private location for volunteers to store items such as food and beverages, purses, or other valuables. We would encourage you to lock personal effects and valuables in your car for the duration of your volunteer shift.
Health & Physical Requirements
- For the safety and health of the children receiving Sack Suppers, if you are sick (even with a mild cold, sore throat, sniffles, etc.) you will not be allowed to volunteer.
- Most volunteer shifts involve standing and light labor for your 1-2 hour volunteer shift. Volunteers are able to perform tasks seated or in a chair. If needed, please ask for a chair at the start of your volunteer shift if one is not readily available.
- Kids’ Food Basket works with a variety of foods and food vendors. We do store and work with peanuts and nut-containing products regularly. If you have any food allergies and are uncertain the risk involved by volunteering, please ask a staff member prior to coming on-site for your volunteer shift. Your safety is important!
Supplies and Food Safety
- Kids’ Food Basket will provide all necessary supplies for your volunteer shift, including hairnets, beard nets, gloves, and other items as needed.
- Sack Supper food goods should not be sampled or taken from the building by volunteers. This food is generously donated or purchased intentionally for the children receiving Sack Suppers in our community.
- Food and drink are not permitted on the Sack Supper floor while volunteering. Please leave these items in your vehicle. We do have drinking fountains available on-site.
Kids’ Food Basket Gear
Kids’ Food Basket gear is available for purchase should you be interested!
- Shirts – $5, or free after your second time volunteering
- Sweatshirts – $25
- Hats – $10
- Holiday cards – during the holiday season, cards are available for purchase