Trail Mix Project
Time Commitment: Take a peek below! We have breakdowns for you to accommodate a variety of project times that work best for you and your group size!
Best for: Groups
Age Requirements: 5+
For approximately 8,000 West Michigan children, Sack Suppers mean school lunch doesn’t have to be the last meal of the day. No matter the volunteer opportunity, we make changing the world easy, fun and highly rewarding experience for all. One of the items kids love the most is trail mix, and we believe we have a recipe for some of the best trail mix in West Michigan! Your group will collect the ingredients, mix them, and then go to work scooping individual portions for Sack Suppers. Once you’ve finished your trail mix, you can deliver it to Kids’ Food Basket between 9-11 AM and 2-5 PM.
Please Note: All trail mix MUST be assembled in a facility licensed for food preparation. Hair and/or beard nets must be worn for this project. Please contact us with any questions.
One of each of the following will make one tub of trail mix – about 60 bags. Your group may make whatever amount of trail mix desired.
- Large box of Cheerios (20 oz)
- Box of Goldfish or other cheese crackers (14 oz)
- Large bag of pretzels (16 oz.)
- Bag of raisins (36 oz)
Please note: off-brand is great! However, we ask that you do not substitute any of the foods to ensure each child receives the same healthy snack.
- Snack size zipper lock bags
- Food service gloves
- 8-9 oz. plastic cups
- Plastic party tubs or similar size boxes lined with clear plastic can liners
- In groups of 2 to 4 people, gather one of each item on the supply list.
- Wash hands and put on a pair of gloves.
- Mix all ingredients in large tubs.
- Place one scoop in a snack size bag (about fills the bag). Hint: it works best if one person scoops and the other person holds and seals the bag.
- One tub will make about 60 bags of trail mix.
- Faith Community Group
- Grand Rapids
- Large Groups
- School Organized Group
- Small Groups
- Sports Team